Having the knowledge and team to help you through purchasing or selling a business can make the process much smoother. Preparation and planning play an important part in successfully purchasing or selling a business. Our team can assist you with all aspects of your transaction, including valuation, cash flow analysis, tax minimization and transition planning.
Purchasing a Business
If you are in the process of or anticipating purchasing an existing business, Legacy Tax & Accounting can assist with:
- Valuations: We can determine the current or projected value of the company you are planning on purchasing by reviewing the existing and forecasted cash flow or earnings.
- Cash flow analysis: Our expert accountants will work with you to review the cash flows of the prospect business. Understanding cash sources is essential in determining if the business you are purchasing is financially sustainable. Having a thorough understanding of cash flows will allow you to look for opportunities to improve the outlook for your new business should you proceed with the purchase.
- Corporate tax structuring: Corporate tax structuring ensures that when you purchase a business, your new company has the best tax strategies in place. We can help address any regulatory, compliance, or corporate structure issues before they arise.
Selling a Business
For those business owners who are selling your company, Legacy Tax & Accounting can support the sale of your business with:
- Transition planning: Often, the decision to sell your business happens over several years as you have invested a lot of time, money and effort to build your business. It is important to reflect on this when you make the decision to transition the business to the next generation, to a key employee or to a third party. Our team can walk you through the process of selling your business.
- Capital Gains Exemption Planning: The sale of a business triggers capital gains. Legacy can determine if you are eligible for the Lifetime Captial Gains Exemption to help you reduce the taxes on the sale of your business.
- Combining asset & share sale options: Our expert accountants can help with combining business asset and share sale options when you are selling your business to maximize the sales price and increase tax savings for you.
We can also support the sale of your business by utilizing safe income, deferrals and reserves. Our tax and accounting experts assist in securing capital gains and other preferential tax rate treatments. We can also utilize losses and other tax attributes within a corporate group.
If you are purchasing or selling a business and have questions about how Legacy Tax & Accounting can support you, contact our team today.